Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lizards and Mending

Lizard Mini Quilt (in progress)
I picked up my Mom's sewing machine at the end of last week, she is letting me borrow it while mine is being fixed (again).  I was so excited to get it, but then my motivation disappeared, I didn't want to sew.  Until my over the top dog bed caught my attention.

Why did my dog bed need mending?  Two reasons:  1.  A very poor choice of fabric for the bottom, and 2.  My dog loves his bed too much and wrestles with it, resulting in holes.

In the before shot you can see the bottom, full of lint and threads that were collected off my floor and nearly impossible to remove from the fabric, and one of the many holes on the top of the bed.

In the after shot you can see I replaced the bottom with a denim fabric (which my dog has already put a hole in, grrr) and I appliqued patches on the holes.  I added 8 patches, one of which ran the entire length of the dog bed.  The sewing didn't take as long as unpicking all the stitches including the zipper.


After the dog bed I was feeling pretty good about my productivity and decided it was time to fix a beloved blanky that lives in our house.  I made the blanket 6 years ago, it was the first blanket I ever made and I struggled with it.  It was made with a fabric panel, layered with batting and a backing.  I fought trying to quilt them together without puckers on the back, in the end the blanket was a LOT smaller than it should have been because I cut so much off and I still had issues, some of my poor sewing in the beginning made it more difficult to repair than it should have been.  

The picture you see below is not the original fabric.  The original panel wore completely off.  The top half and bear was replaced a year or so ago.  This time I had to fix the bottom, what you see in the picture is the batting!  I spent 1 1/2 hours unpicking quilting and removing the binding, then added some motorcycle fabric (a special request).  It is not the fanciest blanket, but it is dearly loved and its owner is very happy with the results.


LIZARD!  I have named her Lucille and she is almost done.  I just need to hand stitch the binding.  I should have a full post about her soon.


Lastly, my yarn order came in!  I am so excited and could not help but start on one of my projects right away.  Do you see those lovely knitting needles?  The project is an entrelac neck warmer, so it is a little wonky right now.  I am happy with how it is coming out so far, much better than the hat I hat to rip apart a few weeks ago.


Work In Progress List (updates in blue)

1.  Lizard mini quilt:: need to finish hand sewing the binding
2.  My Daughter's Farmer's Wife quilt :: various stages of completeness
3.  My Son's quilt :: not yet started
4.  Knit Entrelac Cowl :: I registered for a Craftsy course Done 1 of 7 tiers in this project
5.  Knit Entrelac Cape :: I cannot start until I finish the above.  This is why I took registered in the class
6.  Lark Kaleidoscope quilt :: fabric's stashed away, just need the courage to start it.
7.  Fleece Slippers for me :: I made one in November - I must make the second one.
8.  Cathedral Window quilt :: Top is complete


I am linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...