I named this quilt Farmer's Wife Improv, each time I told my daughter she looked a little confused and asked why I did not call it improve. Gotta love the beautiful minds of our children!
My decision to start a Farmer's Wife quilt was made on January 2, 2012. I started immediately. It did not take long for my 7 year old daughter to make a request that the quilt was hers. I of course obliged.
We decided that the quilt would be made with solids and I chose Kona Solids. My daughter picked the colours; purples, blues and greens. Each block she helped pick the colours that we used. She did a great job.
It did not take long (well actually it did take long) to decide that I could not complete the 83 blocks required to make the twin size quilt and I moved on to plan B, build up each block. This was a good decision in two ways, I was actually able to complete the quilt and I was able to make each block the same size, something I had not accomplished with the small blocks. I was loving how each block came out and pictured them in a random pattern on the finished quilt.
It turned out I was wrong, random was unappealing, so I went with this rainbow like pattern. I had help from my online quilt group to confirm that this was the right choice. They also led me to framing the whole quilt, similar to how I framed each block. I love to have the extra input :)
It is hard to see in this photo, but the back of the quilt is a soft purple sheeting. I did a quilt as you go technique quilt, using a tutorial by Maureen Cracknell Handmade. I have not read it in a long time, so I may or may not have joined it like she said :)
The above blocks are some of my favourites! If you look very carefully you can see that I used different colours of variegated thread to quilt each one.
Name: Farmer's Wife Improv(e)
Size: approx. 73" x 89"
Backing: Egyption Cottong Sheeting
Quilting: free hand lines, quilt as you go
Started : January 2, 2012
Completed: July 26, 2013
Some of my previous posts can be found here: